In a video produced by Òmnium Cultural
- Jody Williams (Nobel Peace Prize, Political Activist)
- Noam Chomsky (Linguist, Philosopher, Human Rights Activist)
- Pep Guardiola (Coach of Manchester City)
- Angela Davis (Human Rights Activist)
- Ben Emmerson (International Lawyer, Formerly UN Special Rapporteur on HR)
- Bill Shipsey (Founder of Art for Amnesty, Human Rights Activist) and
- Martín Caparrós (Journalist and Novelist)
ask for the release of Catalan political prisoners:
Freedom of opinion, expression and assembly, the right to vote and the freedom to dissent are human rights that must be respected in a democracy. We are deepliy concerned that in Spain the number of people investigated are increasing. Dissidence makes societies more plural and should not be politically repressed. Specifically in Catalonia, civil and political rights are at stake. Nine Catalans were sent to pre-trial prison and face sentences of 15-30 years for advocating a referendum on self-determination. We urge Spain to release the nine Catalan prisoners and to solve this political conflict through dialogue. And we ask the Spanish institutions to stop their ideological repression. As such, we demand justice and freedom. We demand justice and freedom. Justice and freedom.
Meanwhile, leading politicians of South Tyrol’s ruling party (SVP) suggest action taken by the Spanish state and justice are normal.